Good Things To Come!

In February 2016, "Serendipi-tea" will become a new website incorporating the blog, the Etsy store, tarot readings, and other services! Stay tuned!

Thursday, October 2, 2014

5 Things to Like This Week

Run, human.  Run.

1.  Couch to 5K.  I downloaded this APP onto my phone and am in the middle of week 2.  It really breaks down the workouts to get you running longer distances.  I'm running again!!  It's been a really long time since I've run on a consistent basis.  My legs and knees are not what they used to be.  I never remember being this sore after a run, but I'm really easing by way back in.  I have to remind myself that it is just my muscles training themselves how to do this again.  Plus, it' will also be a year (on November 6th, 2014) since I quit smoking!

Dan Rather is pretty cool.  Who knew?
2.  Jack White's Big Interview with Dan Rather.  I know that a lot of people are sick of hearing about Jack White.  I love music, though and I think this guy is doing a fantastic job of bringing music back to the roots of what music (or blues to be more specific) is all about:  truth and beauty.
"I don't see that beauty in the way that pop music is recorded on a computer and auto-tuned and presented in a really plastic way.  And I guess I just do my best in whatever I do to try to defeat those ideas and present something that's at least an attempt at getting at truth and getting at beauty."
Here is a great article that contains the entire interview too, titled:  "What We Learned From Jack White's Big Interview With Dan Rather."
Put a cat on it.
3.  My new rain boots.  I have been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced pair of rubber rain boots.  Then one day I came across a pair for $28 in my Facebook news feed from a page called "The Animal Rescue Site".  Weird right?  Why is this site selling rain boots?  Well, for starters they are rain boots with CATS on them!  So cute!  Plus, "For every pair sold, we will donate another pair of shoes through Soles4Souls, a nonprofit organization giving shoes to needy people both in the U.S and abroad!" AND this purchase is worth 28 bowls of food!  What does that mean?  "Every time you shop at "TARS" store, you give the value of bowls of food to animals in shelters and sanctuaries."  HERE is a link to the boots!  I told my Mom about them and guess what?  She ordered them for me!  These boots are keeping my feet dry AND feeding pets!  Double score!  Thanks Ma!

Look kids!  It's crack.
4.  Quaker "Quakes" Carmel Corn Rice Snacks.  These aren't really a new snack, but I love them!  They satisfy my crunch and sweet cravings and are low in calories and fat!  I love to snack on them with a cup of tea!

Born 1894.  Died 1901.  He was only 7, but his tombstone is so old.
5.  Visit to the Cemetery.  So, Jeff and I were in Lead, SD on a foggy, rainy Sunday picking up a free cat carrier that I found on the classifieds (the girls are getting fixed this month) when we stumbled upon the COOLEST old cemetery ever!  The gravestones were so old and the weather made for some cool pictures.  Because we were close to Deadwood, we decided to also visit Mount Moriah Cemetery where Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane are buried.  I'm glad we went, but it was very touristy.  Seth Bullock was the sheriff and Mayor of Deadwood  and he is also buried in a secluded spot about a quarter mile up the hill from the main cemetery.  Jeff and I hiked up there and it was really pretty and peaceful.

Interesting Note:  When I was at the cemeteries, I kept seeing rocks on the tombstones.  I wondered what the reason was for that.  When I looked it up, I found that it is actually a Jewish tradition to show that someone visited the grave and to show remembrance.  I smiled because I do that at Sophia's grave every time I go to my parent's house where she is buried.  I know she was just a cat . . .but I still miss her a lot sometimes.

Love,
Nik

No comments: