Good Things To Come!

In February 2016, "Serendipi-tea" will become a new website incorporating the blog, the Etsy store, tarot readings, and other services! Stay tuned!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Serious Joke?


I am not a music critic. However, I do appreciate all kinds of music and the hard work that goes into creating it. Anyway, this band would probably laugh their asses off if they found out that their music was being discussed in a blog titled "Serendipi-tea". But I'm gonna talk about them anyway . . .

To begin with, one of my favorite things about living in Bozeman is the music scene. Don't laugh. We have one. A mini one. Not only are we on most tour routes between Seattle and Denver for the bigger acts, but we also have an outstanding local music scene. My favorite local hip hop group are a dark, raw, clever bunch of guys called Black Mask. The group consists of a live band, keyboard, turntables, and is fronted by 3 guys and the occasional guest appearance. The beats and lyrics center around "drinking, getting laid, some emo shit", and even zombies. Yes. I just said zombies. Whoa.

I've been going to their live shows since they formed in 2007 and it's still so amazing to see how much these guys have evolved since then. For example, on the track "The Muse", which is on their new album titled "Serious Joke", I swear you can literally feel the intensity that went into creating that song vibrating lyrically and musically. "Pirates" just makes me crank the volume and drive recklessly. "Sleeping Alone" gets stuck in my head in a good way. "Last Summer" is so chill and a little eerie (along with the amazing video--on their myspace page--). "You Know" featuring Eternia has a retro feel which is a sweet slice of lovely. The album also includes a lot of collaboration . . . some freestyle, something dirty about someones mom (classic), a kick ass mix from the movie "Legend", an --I'm assuming--very drunk, voice mail. I was cracking up and cranking the volume. This is how an album should sound--all jokes aside.

Their older songs are just as noteworthy. If you get a chance check out: "Catastrophe" (my favorite of all their songs; love in the apocalypse), "Everynight" (tied with Catastrophe as my #1. the price is wrong bitch. Listen to this song and then think of me rapping by myself in my car. Oh yes. This happens. You know this.) "Setbacks" (setbacks that made me the person I am today), "Superheroes" (this is so dirty. oh boys. silly boys.), there are a ton more . . .

Check them out on myspace by clicking HERE. Or check out their website here: WWW.ROCKSHOCKIT.COM

Then come with me to a show sometime. . .

"I always tell the girls, never take it seriously. If ya never take it seriosuly, ya never get hurt. Ya never get hurt, ya always have fun. And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends."
Penny Lane, "Almost Famous"


Peace,
Nik

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Nik- Consider this band "checked out" and I love it. This is exactly the kind of hip-hop I love. Chill, laid back, and and overall great vibe. You're lucky to have them so close to home. If you ever find other bands like them, let me know. It seems we have the same taste in music! Talk to you soon girl.